Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Cry Out to God

I cry out to God; yes, I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for his help. Psalm 77:1-3 NLT

Do you feel as though God sometimes doesn't hear your prayers? Have you ever prayed and prayed for something, yet God never answered you?

Perhaps in your time with God you also felt empty or abandoned. Some people call such a feeling, “The dark night of the soul.” I know some truly godly people who have been through such a time. But they never stopped trying to reach God, calling out to him. One such person I know played her flute when words seemed empty and hopeless. Her music became her prayer and served as an anchor to keep her in God's presence.

If you ever find yourself in such a place, I do recommend going to a counselor to make sure you are not suffering from depression. I have known that to happen to people when they are depressed. And depression is not always a life-long illness. Medicine can help balance all the hormones in your body and help you to be more open to God's presence.

But this can happen to you even when you are not suffering from depression. I think this would be an excellent psalm to pray again and again if you feel as though God is absent from your life.

God, sometimes we cry out to you but hear no response. We feel as though we have been abandoned. If we are suffering from depression, move us to seek help. If we must go through this time of spiritual searching, do not be far from us. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment