Friday, April 27, 2012

To be more like God


Do to them as you did to the Midianites and as you did to Sisera and Jabin at the Kishon River. They were destroyed at Endor, and their decaying corpses fertilized the soil. Let their mighty nobles die as Oreb and Zeeb did. Let all their princes die like Zebah and Zalmunna, for they said, “Let us seize for our own use these pasturelands of God!” Psalm 83: 9-12 NLT

I had to do some research to figure out who these people were. I knew Sisera was a commander in the time of the prophet Deborah and he was killed by a woman. Jabin was his king and he was also killed. Oreb and Zeeb were commanders and their kings were Zebah and Zalmunna. They were all Midianites who were defeated by Gideon. So, all of these were men and countries who tried to overtake God's lands and God's people but they were defeated.

I think the important thing is the idea of the land. The psalmist wants the current enemies to die so that their decaying corpses might fertilize the soil – this cannot be a coincidence with the fact that these same people want to seize God's pasturelands for themselves. Perhaps what the psalmist is saying is that they will have God's lands, but not quite like they think. The will become part of the soil rather than the conqueror.

Or, at least, that is the psalmist's hope.

God, I have dreams of revenge and plans that I want you to fulfill. I want you to raise me up while others are defeated. Am I being just, God, or trying to be you? Help me to be more like you rather than to try to be you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment