Saturday, April 28, 2012

God is the Most High


O my God, scatter them like tumbleweed, like chaff before the wind! As a fire burns a forest and as a flame sets mountains ablaze, chase them with your fierce storm; terrify them with your tempest. Utterly disgrace them until they submit to your name, O Lord. Let them be ashamed and terrified forever. Let them die in disgrace. Then they will learn that you alone are called the Lord, that you alone are the Most High, supreme over all the earth. Psalm 83: 13-18 NLT

Violence, terror and disgrace do not make me respect those who hand it out. Yet, the psalmist seems to think if God acts in these ways, those who are defeated will learn who God is. I think they will be too wrapped up in their own shame and death.

For me, being shamed or made to feel belittled just makes me angry at the one who is doing the shaming and belittling. The only lesson I learn is to stay as far away from that person as I can. But I admit that I would celebrate their defeat.

The psalmist knows that God is the only one called the Lord and that God is the Most High, supreme over all the earth. That is the most important point.

God, you alone are called the Lord. You alone are the Most High, supreme over all the earth. Help me to live as though I know and understand this about you. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment