Monday, August 27, 2012

God should deal well with me


May those curses become the Lord’s punishment for my accusers who speak evil of me. But deal well with me, O Sovereign Lord, for the sake of your own reputation! Rescue me because you are so faithful and good. Psalm 109: 20-21 NLT

Why should God deal well with me? Is it because I am Christian? A minister? Go to church regularly? Pray every day? Read the bible? Give to the poor? 

No, God should deal well with me because of God’s own reputation.

What???

Should I not be the determining factor in how well God treats me? My secular success certainly depends on how well I do. My feelings about myself also greatly depend on my accomplishments. Doesn’t God pay attention and reward me for my good behavior? 

God will deal well with me because of God’s reputation as a loving and merciful God. It has nothing to do with who I am but with who God is. 

Deal well with me, O Sovereign Lord, for the sake of your own reputation! Rescue me because you are so faithful and good. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment