Monday, August 6, 2012

How quickly we forget


Yet how quickly they forgot what he had done! They couldn’t wait for his counsel! In the wilderness their desires ran wild, testing God’s patience in that dry wasteland. So he gave them what they asked for, but he sent a plague along with it. The people in the camp were jealous of Moses and envious of Aaron, the Lord’s holy priest. Because of this, the earth opened up; it swallowed Dathan and buried Abiram and the other rebels. Fire fell upon their followers; a flame consumed the wicked. Psalm 106: 13-18 NLT 
I can remember what God has done in my life in generalities: my adoption, my family, my churches, my calling. It isn’t until I sit down and write out what I remember, breaking it down into years or decades to recall the wonderful things God has done in my life. 
At the same time, I have to recall time when I coudln’t wait for  God’s counsel (most often) or my desires ran wild, testing God’s patience. Did God ever punish me? perhaps. Did God ever show God’s mercy? Most definitely!
Have you ever had a time in your life when you coudn’t wait for God’s counsel? What was the outcome? How about a time when your desires ran wild? Did you remember to turn back to God? How were you brought back to God? In what ways was God merciful? 
Don’t forget what God has done in your life!
God, forgive me for those times when I have avoided your counsel. Have mercy on me. I have often gone ahead and followed my own desires without praying to you or talking to wise Christians. Forgive me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment