Sunday, August 5, 2012

We have Sinned


Like our ancestors, we have sinned. We have done wrong! We have acted wickedly! Our ancestors in Egypt were not impressed by the Lord’s miraculous deeds. They soon forgot his many acts of kindness to them. Instead, they rebelled against him at the Red Sea. Even so, he saved them -- to defend the honor of his name and to demonstrate his mighty power. He commanded the Red Sea to dry up. He led Israel across the sea as if it were a desert. So he rescued them from their enemies and redeemed them from their foes. Then the water returned and covered their enemies; not one of them survived. Then his people believed his promises. Then they sang his praise. Psalm 106: 6-12 NLT 
Like our ancestors, we have sinned. 
I don’t want to think about how my ancestors have sinned. Were they slave owners? Did they do cruel things to other people? Did they leave God and live in sin? Did they follow God’s commandments? How many were truly Christian? And what about my grandparents? What sins did they commit? Do I want to think about those as well? 
I don’t want to consider how those who came before me sinned. However, the psalmist reminds us that we are all human. Just as I have my own weaknesses, so did my ancestors. The important fact is not the sin but God’s mercy. We all need to ask for forgiveness.
God, like my ancestors, I have sinned. I have done wrong. I have acted wickedly. Have mercy on me, Lord, and forgive me. In Jesus’ merciful name I pray. Amen.
Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment