Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Lord, help: the homeless


Some wandered in the wilderness, lost and homeless. Hungry and thirsty, they nearly died. “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he rescued them from their distress. He led them straight to safety, to a city where they could live. Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them. For he satisfied the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things. Psalm 107: 4-9 NLT

I assume that most of you who are reading this have never been homeless. In fact, I would imagine that this scripture sounds very real to those who stay at the local shelter downtown. But I have spoken to many people lately who look a lot like me who are in danger of loosing their home. Loss of employment, health issues, and a bad economy are causing folks to come closer to being those who are lost and homeless.

But even if you don’t fit in that category, I am sure there have been times in your live when you have been lost. When I graduated from college, I moved to a big city and worked for the government. I didn’t know many people and had a hard time adjusting. Although I had a place to live, I was definitely lost. I had gotten as far away from my home -- and from God -- as I could. It took some wandering and a chance meeting with my future husband to get me back to God. 
God satisfied my hunger and my thirst and filled me with good things -- way beyond what I could hope or imagine.

Lord, help! Please hear my cry when I am in trouble. Rescue me from my distress. Then I will praise you for your great love and all the things you have done for me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment