Thursday, August 16, 2012

Lord, help: the prisoner


Some sat in darkness and deepest gloom, imprisoned in iron chains of misery. They rebelled against the words of God, scorning the counsel of the Most High. That is why he broke them with hard labor; they fell, and no one was there to help them. “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He let them from the darkness and deepest gloom; he snapped their chains. Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them. For he broke down their prison gates of bronze; he cut apart their bars of iron. Psalm 107: 10-16 NLT

I have never been jail. But I am close to a family who has a relative in a maximum security prison. They have told me a few stories of what life is like in prison. Although there are no real chains nor are prisons today dark dungeons, there are certainly metaphorical chains and darkness. The general feeling seems to be that a person is cut off from one’s family or anyone who would love them. When they fall, it seems like no one is there to help them. Sure, there are those in prison who could care less. At the same time, there are those who are in perfect misery. 

I do know about misery. I’ve experienced it in my own life. I have suffered from depression. I have come home from work to cry tears of hurt and hopelessness. I have had to face bravely face those who wield a great deal of power over my life and challenge them. I know darkness and gloom. I am sure some of you have even darker and gloomier stories in your own lives. 

The good news is that God hears our cries and saves us from distress. In my own life, I see God’s hand at work and know that God continues to save me from the pitfalls. I give God praise and glory!

Lord, help! Please hear my cry when I am in trouble. Rescue me from my distress. Then I will praise you for your great love and all the things you have done for me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.


Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment