Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My heart is confident in God


My heart is confident in you, O God; no wonder I can sing your praises with all my heart! Wake up, lyre and harp! I will wake the dawn with my song. I will thank you, Lord, among all the people. I will sing your praises among the nations. For your unfailing love is higher than the heavens. your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens. May your glory shine over all the earth. Psalm 108: 1-5 NLT

My heart is confident in you, God, so that I wake up with a song in my heart.

I wish I could wake up that way. More likely, I wake up resentful of getting out of bed, frustrated with all the stuff I don’t want to do but have to do this day, critical of my own lack of motivation to get the day started. Singing praises to God is the last thing on my mind!

In fact, I hate to sing first thing in the morning. I can’t stand the retreats I have been on where the first thing (even before coffee) is to sing. For me, it seems unnatural. I would rather be silent and contemplative.

But perhaps I am not so confident in God as I would like to appear. If God is truly in control and I believe it, then I should wake confident. All these other things -- the daily grind as it were -- should pale in comparison to God’s greatness and God’s love. I need more confidence in God. Perhaps I won’t wake up singing but I can wake up praising God.

God, my heart is confident in you. No wonder I can sing your praises with all my heart! In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment