Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I will pray as long as I have breath!


I apologize for the lack of devotionals these past two weeks. Hopefully, there will be something in today’s devotional that will speak to your heart. Amelia

I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Because he bends down to listen,  I will pray as long as I have breath! Psalm 116: 1-2 NLT
Why do you pray to God?
The psalmist prays to God because God listens. God hears the psalmist’s voice. The psalmist knows this because when the psalmist ask for mercy, God grants him mercy. God bends down to listen to the psalmist. This image reminds me of an adult bending down to hear what a small child might say. The child’s voice is small and quiet but the adult values what the child has to say. For the psalmist, God is like that. So, the psalmist is not going to stop praying as long as he is alive.
Have you ever had a time in your life when you simply could not pray? Perhaps you were feeling distant from or angry at God. Maybe your words seemed meaningless, as though they were simply spoken to empty air. Or you requested something from God and God did not answer in the way you wanted God to answer. After that you may have felt like you didn’t want to pray at all. 
This is the psalm to meditate on when you feel like you cannot pray! God hears our pleas for forgiveness and mercy. God does listen to our prayers. Like any adult, God may not have the answer that we want. But God always listens. 

God, hear my voice and my pray for mercy. I will pray to you as long as I have breath! In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment