Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lord, please save me!


Death wrapped its ropes around me;  the terrors of the grave overtook me.  I saw only trouble and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the Lord:  "Please, Lord, save me!" Psalm 116: 3-4 NLT
This sounds like a visit to a haunted house: death wrapping its ropes around you, the terrors of the grave overtaking you. However, the image is probably meant to be more serious than a Halloween prank. The fear of death is very real to the psalmist. 
I was trying to think when I have felt afraid of death. A couple of times I have been afraid of being hurt. Perhaps there was a fear of death. Certainly, traveling on an airplane makes me afraid of dying but it probably has more to do with the knowledge that it is beyond my control (and at least in a vehicle you have a better chance of walking away). 
But others have probably been closer to that fear than I have. I think about those people who have been diagnosed with cancer or a life-threatening illness. I think about those with whom I have visited and prayed as they lay on their deathbed. Even the calmest of believers can be scared of death. 
Yet, the psalmist has one last ace in his hand: asking God for help. “Lord, please save me!” The plea is earnest, heartfelt and heard. I know of those who have defied the medical statistics or truly walked away from a horrible accident. Do they feel more faithful than those who did not survive? Were their prayers answered and others were not? I don’t have an answer. All I know is to pray  to God regardless of the outcome. 
Lord, please save me! In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment