Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Lord Cares Deeply


The Lord cares deeply when his loved ones die.  O Lord, I am your servant;  yes, I am your servant, born into your household;   you have freed me from my chains.  I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving   and call on the name of the Lord.  I will fulfill my vows to the Lord  in the presence of all his people— in the house of the Lord  in the heart of Jerusalem. Praise the Lord! Psalm 116: 15-19  NLT
The Lord cares deeply when his loved ones die.
Yet, how often we have told a bereaved friend that it was just their time to go or that God wanted another angel in heaven? How often to we explain inexplicable deaths by somehow pointing a finger at God? You and I have both been guilty of saying things we don’t really mean because we are unsure of what to day. 
The psalmist is clear that God does not want us to die. God cares when we do die. We know this because God frees us from our chains and has done great things for us, even though we are no more than servants in God’s household. 
What greater reason do we have than to praise God? And let others know that God cares deeply that their loved one died. 
God, you have freed me from my chains. Although I am your servant, born in your household, you give me freedom and mercy. I will call on your name and give you a sacrifice of thanksgiving in the presence of your congregation. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment