Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Beginning our faith journey


How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you -- don’t let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word. Psalm 119: 9-16 NLT

I reading Psalm 119, I get the impression that we are looking at the faith story of one individual. These verses sound like they are just at the beginning of their faith journey. 

The psalmist is trying hard to see how they can be good. It seems to them that following God’s laws is the way to stay true. They have begun by trying to internalize God’s word so that they will not sin. They have memorized the text and can recite it perfectly. They are praising and rejoicing over what rules God has given them. They promise to continue to study God’s rules, delight in them and not forget them. 

Sounds pretty cut and dry. Where is the passion and love for God? Where is the struggle to understand the hard bits? Why is there no questions or life lessons being brought to mind? 

God’s word is not sterile. God’s commands are not just something we memorize. We must live God’s will, not just know it. 

God, I have tried hard to find you. Help me when I try to make your love into something that is dry, stiff and lifeless. May your words live in my heart. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment