Thursday, October 4, 2012

Be Good to Your Servant


Be good to your servant, that I may live and obey your word. Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. I am only a foreigner in the land. Don’t hide your commands from me! I am always overwhelmed with a desire for your regulations. You rebuke the arrogant; those who wander from your commands are cursed. Don’t let them scorn and insult me, for I have obeyed your laws. Even princes sit and speak against me, but I will meditate on your decrees. Your laws please me; they give me wise advice. Psalm 119: 18-24 NLT

Following God is full of challenges. Sometimes we simply don’t understand scripture, life’s lessons or God’s will. We feel ignorant of what God really expects from us. It is like we are a stranger in another country. At the same time, we are pulled by forces outside of our faith. We are ridiculed or put down because of our beliefs. We are tempted to follow society rather than God. 

Throughout all of this, we want God to be good to us, even though we are only a lowly servant.

How does one hang on to God and live in the world? 

It is a daily challenge and not one where I can give anyone a one minute answer. Certainly, scripture can give us wise advice as can others who have walked this road before us. Simply spending time with God -- in prayer and scripture -- can be a big help. 

How do you hang on to God and live in the world? 

Be good to your servant, that I may live and obey your word. Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment