Friday, October 5, 2012

I told you my plans and you answered


I lie in the dust; revive me by your word. I told you my plans, and you answered. Now teach me your decrees. Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate on your wonderful deeds. I weep with sorrow; encourage me by your word. Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions. I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your regulations. I cling to your laws. Lord, don’t let me be put to shame! I will pursue your commands, for you expand my understanding. Psalm 119: 25-32 NLT

Even when one wants to follow Jesus, one usually ends up trying to make one’s own path. 

Sound familiar? Instead of following God’s will, we tend to want our own will to end up actually being God’s will. Instead of blessing God, we want God to bless us. Rather than being who God wants us to be, we want God to like us as we have made ourselves. I do this a lot. I think my plans are simply going to be blessed by God, regardless.

I told you my plans, and you answered. Now I lie in the dust....

Okay, so maybe the psalmist, like us, did not do so well in following God. Now they, like us, are sorry for their mistakes. Now is the time to try again, to meditate on what God has done, to keep from lying to ourselves, to cling to God’s will and God’s word. 

Where do you need to begin again and follow God not your own desires?

God, I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your regulations. I cling to your laws. Lord, don’t let me be put to shame! I will pursue your commands, for you expand my understanding. In Jesus’ name. Amen.


Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment