Monday, October 22, 2012

God's Help


O Lord, listen to my cry; give me the discerning mind you promised. Listen to my prayer; rescue me as you promised. Let praise flow from my lips, for you have taught me your decrees. Let my tongue sing about your word, for all your commands are right. Give me a helping hand, for I have chosen to follow your commandments. O Lord, I have longed for your rescue, and your instructions are my delight. Let me live so I can praise you, and may your regulations help me. I have wandered away like a lost sheep; come and find me, for I have not forgotten your commands. Psalm 119: 169-176 NLT

What happens when you fail to follow God’s law? 

For the psalmist in Psalm 119, learning God’s commandments, meditating on them, following them, praising God for God’s law, and loving God’s decrees is not enough. There is one thing missing. And that is God.

The psalmist cannot be as obedient without God’s help.

You see, the psalmist has again and again declared how well they have followed God and learned God’s laws. Yet, there is still something missing. The psalmist is asking for discernment, ability to praise, rescue, and life. These are things that Christians know that can come through the gift of the Holy Spirit. I think that is what the psalmist needs. 

Where have you tried to be the best follower of Christ and find yourself still needing assistance? You cannot do it alone. You need more than just will power and discipline. You must also have the Spirit.

God, I cannot follow you without your help. With the Holy Spirit, let praise flow from my lips and let my tongue sing about your word! Let me live so that I can praise you! In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment