Sunday, October 21, 2012

You know everything I do


Powerful people harass me without cause, but my heart trembles only at your word. I rejoice in your word like one who discovers a great treasure. I hate and abhor all falsehood, but I love your instructions. I will praise you seven times a day because all your regulations are just. Those who love your regulations have great peace and do not stumble. I long for your rescue, Lord, so I have obeyed your commands. I have obeyed your laws, for I love them very much. Yes, I obey your commandments and laws because you know everything I do. Psalm 119: 161-168 NLT

These verses sound perfect for an election year, especially this one! 

Even though powerful people are harassing you or even one another, you should only be afraid of God’s word. God’s word has lasting power that is deeper than any political party or cause. Although falsehood comes easily from the lips of those who want you vote, God’s instructions only contain truth and are to be loved. In fact, when you discover God’s word it is like finding a great treasure. 

The psalmist wants to praise God seven times a day because all of God’s laws are just. I don’t know a single law that I would want to even think about seven times a day! In any case, seven is a perfect number so it isn’t that you must praise God that many times but that your praise must be done with perfection. Also, that doesn’t mean without mistakes as much as it means with all you are. Don’t hold anything back from praising God who has given us these wonderful commands! God knows when you obey and when you praise. 

God, I want that great peace and a firm foothold. You know everything I do and where I have fallen short. Rescue me from myself and my indiscretions. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment