Saturday, October 20, 2012

How Great is Your Mercy


Look upon my suffering and rescue me, for I have not forgotten your instructions. Argue my case; take my side! Protect my life as you promised. The wicked are far from rescue, for they do not bother with your decrees. Lord, how great is your mercy; let me be revived by following your regulations. Many persecute and trouble me, yet I have not swerved from your laws. Seeing these traitors makes me sick at heart, because they care nothing for your word. See how I love your commandments, Lord. Give back my life because of your unfailing love. The very essence of your words is truth; all your regulations will stand forever. Psalm 119: 153-160 NLT

Save me because I have followed your word.

The psalmist is in trouble. It sounds as if those who do not follow God are attacking. Would these be non-believers or believers in name only? We know that they don’t bother with [God’s] decrees. However, the psalmist later calls them traitors so I would imagine they are faithful in name only. In fact, just seeing these people makes the psalmist sick to his stomach. 

In comparison, the psalmist wants God to note that he cares for God’s word. The psalmist loves the Lord’s commands. He finds the root of truth in God’s word. All of God’s laws will last forever is what the psalmist realizes. He wants God to see how much he loves God by looking at how well he has followed God’s law.

Would God be able to look at your life and see how much you love God? 

Can you see in your life where you have loved God with all your heart, you mind, your strength and your neighbor as yourself? 

What would have to change to make both of those true in your own life?

God, how great is your mercy. May I not only be revived but refreshed and renewed in my love for you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment