Monday, October 15, 2012

Tempting


I hate those with divided loyalties, but I love your instructions. You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my source of hope. Get out of my life, you evil-minded people, for I intend to obey the commands of my God. Lord, sustain me as you promised, that I may live! Do not let my hope be crushed. Sustain me, and I will be rescued; then I will meditate continually on your decrees. But you have rejected all who stray from your decrees. They are only fooling themselves. You skim off the wicked of the earth like scum; no wonder I love to obey your laws! I tremble in fear of you; I stand in awe of your regulations. Psalm 119: 113-120 NLT

Take some time right now to think about all the people in your life who even have the possibility to lead you astray. You know, the ones who can tempt you to things that may not be illegal or immoral but are not things God wants you to do. I have this eighth grade memory that I was sitting at a desk or table trying to study or do what the teacher wanted us to be doing. Then I clearly remember my two best friends dancing around in back of my chair, encouraging me to ditch studying and do something fun with them. It wasn’t bad but it also wasn’t what I was supposed to be doing. Okay, I admit I did ditch the studying for the fun. 

But how about today, who would get me to leave the path God has for me -- even it it seems harmless -- and do something else? 

And who would get you to do the same? 

Get out of my life, you evil-minded people, for I intend to obey the commands of my God! Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment