Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I hate every false way


Don’t leave me to the mercy of my enemies, for I have done what is just and right. Please guarantee a blessing for me. Don’t let the arrogant oppress me! My eyes strain to see your rescue, to see the truth of your promise fulfilled. I am your servant; deal with me in unfailing love, and teach me your decrees. Give discernment to me, your servant; then I will understand your laws. Lord, it is time for you to act, for these evil people have violated your instructions. Truly, I love your commands more than gold, even the finest gold. Each of your commandments is right. That is why I hate every false way. Psalm 121-128 NLT

These verses sound the most desperate so far in this psalm. The psalmist seems to feel abandoned. There does not seem to be any hope for him. He strains to see God’s rescue, God’s truth and promises fulfilled, but it seems to be impossible. He keeps speaking of himself as God’s servant, a very humbling position that has no authority or control. He asks not only for rescue but also for blessing, discernment and God’s unfailing love. Even in declaring the greatness of God’s laws, he only hates the false way rather than following God’s commandments. 

Has there been a time in your life when you only wanted to rescue? When you needed God to save you but you couldn’t find it in you to praise God or lift up how well you had been following God? Have you ever felt like a servant of God -- helpless, no control, powerless and at God’s mercy? Did you like being in that position? What blessing do you need right now from God? What discernment do you need?

Take some time to turn these into a prayer asking God for what you need and praising God for what God has already done in your life. 

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment