Friday, November 9, 2012

Calm and Collected


Lord, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don’ t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to grasp. Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself, like a weaned child who no longer cries for its mother’s milk. Yes, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord -- now and always. Psalm 131 NLT

How do you stay calm and collected? 

I am a person who is easily excited so I have to try really hard to remain calm. Over the years, I have learned how to do that -- my immediate family being my main exception. 

The psalmist remains calm because he does not concern himself with things that are beyond his control, too big for him to handle or to awesome to understand. I know a lot of people who get worked up about national or international events and causes so that they become angry, overbearing, loud and obnoxious. I don’t think it is wrong to talk about these things but to act as though you could handle it yourself or know the best solution is really too much. Who knows more than God?

Our hope should be in God. Our trust should be in God’s power. Our faith should be in God almighty.

God, sometimes we think it is all up to us, as though we need to decide the world’s fate or that the control of the future is in our hands. Help us today to realize that you are truly the one in control. Not us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment