Tuesday, November 13, 2012

God's Home


For the Lord has chosen Jerusalem; he has desired it for his home.”This is my resting place forever,” he said. “I will live here, for this is the home I desired. I will bless this city and make it prosperous; I will satisfy its poor with food. I will clothe its priests with godliness; its faithful servants will sing for joy. Here I will increase the power of David; my anointed one will be a light for my people. I will clothe his enemies with shame, but he will be a glorious king.” Psalm 132: 13-18 NLT

Quick: what is your favorite city? Why? 

Do you think God rests there? Why or why not? 

The psalmist clearly would chose Jerusalem. This is because the psalmist sees that God has chosen it for his home. God has decided to rest there -- no more wandering in the wilderness for God. This is the home that God has always wanted. Because God is there, God will bless the city and give it prosperity. Not only that, but the poor within the city will always have enough to eat. The religious leaders will be godly men and all who serve the Lord will do so gladly. The king, David, will be triumphant and glorious. 

The words of this psalm can make us forget that the city of David was no more than 5 square acres in size. We also forget that God includes the poor in the blessings of prosperity. We can also get so wrapped up in how David was so glorious and forget his weaknesses and his sins. 

Just like our favorite city probably does have a crime rate, homeless people and corrupt government officials. 

But we like to think of the positive side, don’t we?

God, thank you for our favorite city. Thank you that I can see the positive side of the place that attracts my heart. I know you are there just as you are in other cities of the world. Help me to make the city where I live better in your name. Amen. 

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment