Monday, November 12, 2012

There is always a catch


The Lord swore an oath to David with a promise he will never take back: “I will place one of your descendants on your throne. If your descendants obey the terms of my covenant and the laws that I teach them, then your royal line will continue forever and ever.” Psalm 132: 11-12 NLT

There is always a catch. 

God swears (the courtroom kind of swearing) that David will always have a descendant on the throne.

IF

BUT

YOUR PART

Only if the descendants continue to follow God and all of God's laws.

Then they will always have someone on the throne.

Even when our country began, it was not unheard of for leaders to gather the people for days of fasting and prayer. And the prayers always included times of confession of sins. They didn't just ask for God's help, they confessed what they had done wrong and how they had hurt God.

What promises do you think God has made to you in your lifetime?

How have you held up your end of the bargain?

God, you have given me promises and asked for all my love with every part of my being and my love for neighbor and self. I have let you down time and again. Please forgive me. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment