Friday, December 7, 2012

Faith is Not a Surprise


Faith is Not a Surprise
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

I have never liked surprises. Maybe it is because I was afraid of my reaction if it was something I didn’t like. I am not very good at hiding my emotions. For that reason as a child, I loved to unwrap my Christmas presents when no one was looking and seal them back carefully so I would know how to react on Christmas morning. What I realized as I got older is that I had taken the joy out of the gift.

As an adult, I still am not thrilled about surprises. Now my surprises come in bigger packages-- a life-changing late night call, an unexpected grandchild, a change to teaching first grade. What I have learned along the way is that God has a bigger plan for my life than I can even imagine. What I see as a surprise, God has known about long before I could see the plans He had for me. He asks me to have faith that He will guide my life.

I have learned a different way to look at a surprise through the eyes of faith. I can now see the surprise as a test of my faith. Can I accept the outcome, even if I do not like the gift? Can I say “thank you” and be glad that I have been given the opportunity to receive? Can I accept my “surprise” as a gift of joy? I have learned that by faith I can put the joy back into the surprise. God made us a promise that “all thing work for the good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose”(Romans8:28). It is a chance to put the joy back into every gift.

Dear Lord, we have been given a wonderful gift this Christmas, the gift of Jesus Christ, Your son, our Lord and Savior who died for our sins. With You there are no surprises, only faithful promises of things to come. May our faith bring us joy this Christmas! Amen.

Carol Hobby 

No comments:

Post a Comment