Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A prayer from Psalm 146


He made heaven and earth, the sea and everything in them. He keeps every promise forever. He gives justice to the oppressed and food to the hungry. The Lord frees the prisoners. The Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are weighed down. The Lord loves the godly. The Lord protects the foreigners among us. He cares for the orphans and widows, but he frustrates the plans of the wicked. The Lord will reign forever. He will be your God, O Jerusalem, throughout the generations. Praise the Lord! Psalm 146: 6-10 NLT

God, you made heaven and earth! You are an awesome creator and we marvel at all of creation.

You keep every promise forever. You never forget your promises but you do forget our trespasses -- thanks to Jesus!

You free prisoners -- and, God, you know what bars I have been behind in my life. Free at last!

You are one who gives justice to the oppressed and food to the hungry. I am too quick to judge and only want my selfish rights to be acknowledged. But you know true justice and who is truly hungry.

You open the eyes of the blind. Boy, have I been blind most of my life -- open my eyes, Lord, help me to see!

You lift up those who are weighed down. I have taken on so much unimportant stuff that simply bends me over. I am weighed down. Lift up my load, and take it from me! I promise not to grab it back.

You love the godly. I am trying to be among those, Lord.

You protect the foreigners among us. What is that, Lord? You want me to do the same? Does that include illegal immigrants? Oh. Okay.

You care for orphans and widows but frustrates the plans of the wicked. May my plans never be wicked. May my plans be yours -- to care for the orphan and the widow, the helpless and the lost. 

You, God, will reign forever!

Amen.

Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment