Thursday, January 10, 2013

Adore God


Hear my prayer, O Lord; listen to my plea! Answer me because you are faithful and righteous. Don’t put your servant on trial, for no one is innocent before you. My enemy has chased me. He has knocked me to the ground and forces me to lie in darkness like those in the grave. I am losing all hope; I am paralyzed with fear. I remember the days of old. I ponder all your great works and think about what you have done. I lift my hands to you in prayer. I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain. Psalm 143: 1-6 NLT

The psalmist is in a dark place. He is appealing to God, but asking for God not to judge him as he knows that no one can be completely innocent before God. He lifts up what his enemy has done: knocked him to the ground, forcing him to lie in darkness. He is losing hope, paralyzed with fear. While he gropes in the dark, he remembers all that God has done -- in the greater world as well as the psalmist’s own life. He lifts his hands to God in prayer and admits his thirst for God. 

I love how, even though he is at his wit’s end, the psalmist puts adoration of God first. He praises God and God’s mighty works. He somehow realizes in his own predicament what is truly important: God. That takes quite a bit of maturity. 

I tend to get in lost in my own pity parties sometimes and forget God’s bigger picture. Yet the psalmist is able to overcome his own fears and praise God. Oh, that I would have such faithful maturity!

God, when I am in a dark place and need you, help me to give you praise and adoration. Take away my self-centeredness and lift you up in blessing and praise. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment