Wednesday, January 9, 2013

God is My Center


I cry out to the Lord; I plead for the Lord’s mercy. I pour out my complaints before him and tell him all my troubles. When I am overwhelmed, you alone know the way I should turn. Wherever I go, my enemies have set traps for me. I look for someone to come and help me, but no one give me a passing thought! No one will help me; no one cares a bit what happens to me. Then I pray to you, O Lord. I say, “You are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life. Hear my cry, for I am very low. Rescue me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me. Bring me out of prison so I can thank you. The godly will crowd around me, for you are good to me.” Psalm 142 NLT

How is your prayer life these days?

Mine is not so great. Getting better, yes, but plenty of room for improvement. I have managed to let a whole lot of other “good” things interrupt my time with God. God is not my center at the moment. My world feels more tilted toward family and work. 

But I know deep down that I need God as my center. 

I suppose you could say that the enemy, the Father of Lies, has changed my focus. However, I think I have done a pretty good job with that on my own. 

I like how the psalmist says that he pours out all his complaints before the Lord. Only God cares what is happening to him.  Only God can save him. The bottom line of all of that is that God is really all he wants. When the complaints are poured out to God, they pale in comparison to God. The relationship with God is all he really wants or needs. 

How about you?

God, you are my place of refuge. You are all I really want in life. Hear my cry, for I am very low. Rescue me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me. Bring me out of prison so I can thank you. The godly will crowd around me, for you are good to me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment