Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hope


Sing out your thanks to the Lord; sing praises to our God with a harp. He covers the heavens with clouds, provides rain for the earth, and makes the grass grow in the mountain pastures. He gives food to the wild animals and feeds the ravens when they cry. He takes no pleasure in the strength of a horse or in human might. No, the Lord’s delight is in those who fear him, those who put their hope in his unfailing love. Psalm 147: 7-11 NLT

What does God really love?

According to the psalmist, God loves it when we fear him. 

The psalmist is not speaking of terror. Instead, the fear for God is a very healthy and loving respect. In fact, the next sentence speaks of putting our hope in God’s unfailing love. That is another way of saying you fear God: you hope in God’s unfailing love.

The interesting thing about hoping in God it is not something you can put your finger on. You can’t measure what you hope for. You can give it words and emotions but not scientific facts. Hope is otherworldly and fragile. Hope can give strength and conviction. To hope in God means to hope in something you cannot even imagine but are assured will happen. 

God, I give you my hope. I hope in your unfailing love. I give you my respect and my life. I am in your hands. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment