Monday, February 11, 2013

God delights in you


O Israel, rejoice in your Maker. O people of Jerusalem, exult in your King. Praise his name with dancing, accompanied by tambourine and harp. For the Lord delights in his people; he crowns the humble with victory. Psalm 149: 2-4 NLT

How does God delight in you?

Most of the time I think God just looks at me and shakes God’s head. Or holds God’s head like God can’t believe I just did that or didn’t do something else. The word delight is most often replaced with disappointed. 

So, does God delight in me?

The psalmist says that God does delight in God’s people. God likes it when we honor our leaders, praise God’s name, and have some partying and dancing in God’s honor. Music to praise God by is also a good thing. God’s delight means that God crowns the humble with victory. 

I suppose I am not so humble. And when have I really had a party for God, in God’s honor? I am also more likely to criticize our leaders (whether religious or political) than get excited about them.

God must delight in me. But only because God loves me. 

Now to go plan a party. Just for God.

God, we rejoice in your presence. You delight in us far more often than we delight in you. Forgive us. Help us to rejoice and delight in you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment