Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sing to the Lord a new song


Praise the Lord! Sing to the Lord a new song. Sing his praises in the assembly of the faithful. Psalm 149: 1 NLT

Sing to the Lord a new song.

How I wish church folk would take that to heart! How often do churches sing the same songs over and over? I have heard of a church that simply changes the sermon title and scripture each week on the bulletin. They sing the same songs -- probably because their pianist is about 90 years old and those are the ones she knows.

Even in my church, folks are not very enthusiastic about singing something new. They might belt out the oldies but are not so great with new ones. 

The psalmist says we must sing new songs to God. I like thinking of singing music as true praise -- for me it means my mind is focused on lifting my voice to God. Sure, sometimes I focus on the tune I carry or the tune the person next to me is not carrying. But I am mostly just concentrating on singing to God. 

That is what praise is all about: focusing on God. 

Sometime today, turn on a praise song and just belt out the words in praise to God. Make a joyful noise to our creator! And, next time you are in worship, give such enthusiasm to God while singing there as well. 

We praise you with a new song, God! Amen.

Copyright 2013 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment