Thursday, March 24, 2011

They will maul me like a lion

I come to you for protection, O Lord my God. Save me from my persecutors - rescue me! If you don't, they will maul me like a lion, tearing me to pieces with no one to rescue me. Psalm 7: 1-2 NLT

Psalm 7 begins very simply and honestly.  God is being asked to protect the one praying. This is a personal request made to a personal God. I am just coming to ask you for protection, God. Please save me, rescue me!

Then  Psalm 7 begins to become graphic. If you don't save me, God, I will be mauled like a lion. I will be torn to pieces. I will be left bleeding and dying on the ground. You are the only one who can rescue me. If you don't save me, there will be no one to save me. Is this manipulating God? Or is this just continuing to be truthful?

Have you ever been in a circumstance where you felt God was the only one who could rescue you? Have you experienced a time in your life when you felt like you were going to be mauled by lions? What did you pray to God (or did you)? Did you find yourself becoming a bit over dramatic or did you stick with the truth?

God, we come to you for protection when we feel there is no other course of action. Help us to always ask for your protection no matter our circumstances. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2010 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment