Sunday, May 29, 2011

I love you, God!

I love you, Lord; you are my strength. Psalm 18:1 NLT

Once when my spouse was leaving the house, I said, "I like you!" rather than "I love you!" We both laughed about it - he said that he liked me too. But it made me think about the difference between liking and loving someone.

I tolerate lots of people. I like some people. In fact, I probably find it easier to love others than like others. Does that make sense? I can both love and tolerate someone. To like them takes more effort and there is also a part of liking someone that is not something you can manipulate. It just is or it isn't. Sometimes if I have made an effort, I can come to like someone. But it is a lot of hard work. As I said before, sometimes it is easier to just love them.

Or is it? Maybe I have confused loving someone with tolerating them. Or putting up with them. Or just acknowledging that they exist.

And the scary thing is that I wonder how much I have done that with God. When do I just tolerate God? Or simply acknowledge that God exists? Do I spend time trying to get to know God so that I can like God? Or do I just say I love God? Perhaps I am simply putting up with God when I should be in love with God.

Are you in love with God? I think if we really look deeply, we may be surprised at the answer.

If you are in love with God, God will be your strength.

Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment