Tuesday, June 7, 2011

God will not abandon us

The Lord rewarded me for doing right; he compensated me because of my innocence. For I have kept the ways of the Lord; I have not turned from my God to follow evil. For all his laws are constantly before me; I have never abandoned his principles. I am blameless before God; I have kept myself from sin. The Lord rewarded me for doing right, because of the innocence of my hands in his sight. Psalm 18: 20-24 NLT

I appreciate being innocent and following the laws of God. Staying innocent and doing right are wonderful things. Yet, how difficult that must be! I am so thankful that Jesus came and gave us hope so that we would not have to be sticklers for the law.

If this psalm is truly a psalm of David, I am reminded of two things in his life. First, I remember how he refused to kill King Saul as he was anointed by God. In fact, he even refused to be a traitor. He was able to follow God regardless of the cost to himself. Second, I recall David's own sinful behavior before, during and after sleeping with Bathsheba. He should have been on the battlefield, he should not have slept with her, and he should not have had Uriah murdered. Do I come away with feeling that even the best of men can be good followers of God but only up to a point?

And if you and I slip up, will God abandon us?

No.

God, you will never abandon us. You want us to be innocent and to keep doing right. But when we slip up, you won't let us go. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment