Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bargaining with God

O Lord, do not stay away! You are my strength; come quickly to my aid! Rescue me from a violent death; spare my precious life from these dogs. Snatch me from the lions' jaws, and from the horns of these wild oxen. Then I will declare the wonder of your name to my brothers and sisters. I will praise you among all your people. Psalm 22: 19-22 NLT

What bargaining in the psalms today!

God, I need you to keep close and give me strength. I need you to help me out here. Rescue me, spare my life, snatch me from these dangers. Then I will tell others about you wonderful name and I will praise you in the congregation.

God if you will only do these things to help me...then I will do these other things to help you.

Does God need such an agreement? Do we? Will God not save us without some bargaining? Will we not praise God or tell others about God if God lets us receive unjust punishment?

Something to think about today....

God, do not stay away! May we praise you in your sanctuary. May we tell our brothers and sisters all about you. May we struggle to be your faithful followers without trying to bargain our salvation. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment