Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Surrounded by a pack of dogs

My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs; an evil gang closes in on me. They have pierced my hands and feet. I can count every bone in my body. My enemies stare at me and gloat. The divide my clothes among themselves and throw dice for my garments. Psalm 22: 16-18 NLT

This is the imagery, the prophecy of Jesus on the cross. Verse 18 seems to ring in my head today. I am thinking of all my own possessions. What if the police or government agents seized me and all my goods? What if I were forced to watch folks gamble my own clothes away? Auction all my things? How would I feel? How would you?

There was a song by John Mellencamp about his family's farm being auctioned off. In the song the auctioneer apologises for having to do this but gives the excuse that it is just his job. It may be your job, Mellencamp sings, but it sure isn't right.

These are the times when we desperately need God. May we all search for God in good times so that we won't feel alone when we are surrounded by a pack of dogs.

Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment