Monday, July 4, 2011

Do not go too far!

Do not stay so far from me, for trouble is near, and no one else can help me. My enemies surround me like a herd of bulls; fierce bulls of Bashan have hemmed me in!  Like roaring lions attacking their prey, they come at me with open mouths. My life is poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart is like wax, melting within me. My strength has dried up like sunbaked clay. My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. You have laid me in the dust and left me for dead. Psalm 22: 11-15 NLT

What imagery in these verses!

A herd of bulls - think the bulls running down the streets of Madrid. What if they were all surrounding you and you were wearing bright red?

Roaring lions, attacking their prey (you) and coming toward you with their mouths open. Can you feel their hot breath?

Your will to live is pouring out of you like water. All your courage has melted like hot wax. Your strength is like clay: hot, dried and cracking in the sun. You can neither say anything nor swallow because your tongue is stuck to the roof of your mouth.

God has laid you down in the dust, leaving you as though you were dead.

Yet, there is still the plea for God not to go to far away because there is no one else who can help.

God, do not go far from us in times of trouble. No one else can help us like you can. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment