Sunday, July 24, 2011

God not Popularity

I do not spend time with liars or go along with hypocrites. I hate the gatherings of those who do evil, and I refuse to join in with the wicked. I wash my hands to declare my innocence. I come to your altar, O Lord, singing a song of thanksgiving and telling of all your miracles. I love your sanctuary, Lord, the place where your glory shines. Psalm 26: 4-8 NLT

If this person was in high school, they would be on the cafeteria fringe for sure. Have you ever noticed that often the popular crowd in high school does a lot of lying, gossiping, bullying and generally keeping their popularity by being mean? Yes, there are exceptions and one or two who are well-liked but not mean.

This person has great self-awareness and confidence. They don't feel compelled to go along with the crowd and lie. Or be mean during the week at school and then "Christian" on Sundays at church. In fact, this person refuses to have anything to do with evil or wicked groups. Quite different from all those who want to be popular and kiss up to those who are popular in order to enter their orbit.

Popularity is not this person's goal. God is their goal.

What is your goal?

God, we place you first in our lives. Help us not to look to others for our affirmation but to you. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment