Monday, July 25, 2011

Guilty until Forgiven

Don't let me suffer the fate of sinners. Don't condemn me along with murderers. Their hands are dirty with wicked schemes, and they constantly take bribes. But I am not like that; I do what is right. So in your mercy, save me. I have taken a stand, and will publicly praise the Lord. Psalm 26: 9-12 NLT

So, is the psalmist innocent or not?

Don't let me be condemned with all those evil doers. I am not like that, I wash my hands of that crowd. I do what is right.

So... have mercy and save me? Shouldn't this be: I know you will condemn them but not me? Has the psalmist been to close to those that take bribes? Why would God confuse them of being in the same group?

I wonder if God would get us confused with the wrong group, too. Or perhaps we aren't as innocent as we like to claim. Are the very things we accuse others of the exact same things we are doing? This is like accusing members of a certain political party of being self-righteous and judgmental. Once those words have left your mouth are you not also being self-righteous and judgmental?

In the end, we all need to depend on God's mercy.

God, be gracious and merciful to us. We want to claim innocence but you know us better than we know ourselves. Forgive us our sins and grant us grace. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment