Monday, July 11, 2011

What is yours, anyway?

The earth is the Lord and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him. For he laid the foundation on the seas and built it on the ocean depths. Psalm 24: 1-2 NLT

Recently I heard a child say to my child when we were at their home, “Let me sit there. This is our house, not yours.” The parents stepped in and corrected the child but it made me think about what we claim as ours.

I say we have a house but really the bank owns it. I always talk about “my” church but I don't own it, either. I have my husband and my child but neither are my possession. I have my clothes and my books – either of which can be used by others.

Psalm 24 reminds us that even the things we think are ours are actually belonging to God. All of the earth is God's. God is the creator. All people of the earth are God's as well. That includes me.

God, thank you for letting me use part of your creation for my enjoyment and my daily needs. I pray you delight in their use and that I don't ever become territorial with your things. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment