Thursday, September 8, 2011

All Rise!


O Lord, you know all about this, Do not stay silent. Don't abandon me now, O Lord. Wake up! Rise to my defense! Take up my case, my God and my Lord. Declare me “not guilty,” O Lord my God, for you give justice. Don't let my enemies laugh about me in my troubles. Don't let them say, “Look! We have what we wanted! Now we will eat him alive!” Psalm 35: 22-25 NLT

So, does God ever go to sleep? Why is the psalmist asking God to wake up?

These verses sound like a courtroom scene. Perhaps God has gotten bored with the proceedings and dozed off. I am sure that God sometimes would like to doze off when I do stupid and trivial things. But in these verses the psalmist needs God to stand up and testify in the psalmist's defense. This is because God is the one who gives true justice.

When lately you have felt on the stand in a courtroom? Who was the judge? Someone you don't like? A friend? God? Perhaps yourself? What kind of defense did you need? Or did you have to plea guilty as charged?

God, you are awake. You are our judge and defender. Please forgive us when we do wrong and help us to have the courage and admit our faults. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment