Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Falsely Accused


Don't let my treacherous enemies rejoice over my defeat. Don't let those who hate me without cause gloat over my sorrow. They don't talk of peace; they plot against innocent people who are minding their own business. They shout they have seen me doing wrong. “Aha,” they say. “Aha! With our own eyes we saw him do it!” Psalm 35:19-21 NLT

This part of the psalm feels as though the emotions of the one crying out to God have been spent. The anger is not so fierce now. There is mainly sorrow and dejection. The main request is that the psalmist's enemies would not rejoice and gloat over them. The enemies are not going to make peace. Instead, they'll be finding new things to witness falsely about. The innocent are minding their own business, why can't their enemies do the same?

I cannot stand being falsely accused. It really makes me angry. Falsely accuse me of something and I probably will do something wrong! Being unjustly accused is one of my own hot buttons that will release my temper.

But the psalmist seems caught up in this whole drama. There seems to be no escape. Even if they had done anything wrong, it feels as if they are now being accused of things they had not done. Where is God in all this?

God, sometimes we find ourselves in situations where you seem far from us. We pray for rescue but you seem silent. Things get worse and we wonder if you care. Help us know that you are always with us, even when you don't answer us or rescue us when we want you to. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment