Monday, September 5, 2011

Attacked


But they are glad now that I am in trouble; They gleefully join together against me. I am attacked by people I don't even know.; they hurl slander at me continually. They mock me with the worst kind of profanity, and they snarl at me. Psalm 35: 15-16 NLT

Is it worse to be attacked by strangers or friends?

Certainly friends who attack you can quickly hurt more because you thought they cared for you and valued you. But being attacked by strangers can feel like the world has become upside down.

Is it worse to be attacked verbally or physically?

In this psalm, these attacks are mostly verbal: slander, mockings, profanity, and snarls. Physical pain is real but sometimes it is easier or faster to heal from than verbal attacks. It may take years to recover from verbal abuse and there are no obvious wounds.

God, we call on your healing power on over our lives. Heal us, Lord, heal us from physical injuries as well as verbal ones. If we need help from a physician or a counselor, give us permission to seek the help we need. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment