Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Malicious Witnesses


Malicious witnesses testify against me. They accuse me of things I don't even know about. They repay me with evil for the good I do. I am sick with despair. Yet when they were ill, I grieved for them. I even fasted and prayed for them, but my prayers returned unanswered. I was sad, as though they were my friends or family, as if I were grieving for my own mother. Psalm 35: 11-14 NLT

They accuse me of things I don't even know about.

Yet, when they were ill I went and prayed for them and was sad like I was grieving for my own mother.

Goodness! These verses invoke a lot of emotion. The psalmist is being accused of things they could not have possibly done or even known about. And those who are accusing them are the ones they have been praying for and grieving with in solidarity. Sounds like some close friends have now become enemies.

Have you ever lost a friend over a disagreement? Did they wrongfully accuse you of something? Did it feel like they had turned on you and began making stuff up about you? Did you feel like the psalmist, sick with despair? What would it take now to “bury the hatchet” with that person or persons? Would you be willing to try?

God, you know what we despair over. You love us through all the ups and downs of our lives. Help us to know when to make peace with those we have considered enemies and fill us with the courage to do so. In Jesus' precious name we pray. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment