Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A burden too heavy to bear

O Lord, don't rebuke me in your anger! Don't discipline me in your rage! Your arrows have struck deep, and your blows are crushing me. Because of your anger, my whole body is sick; my health is broken because of my sins. My guilt overwhelms me – it is a burden too heavy to bear. My wounds fester and stink because of my foolish sins. I am bent over and racked with pain. My days are filled with grief. A raging fever burns within me, and my health is broken. I am exhausted and completely crushed. My groans come from an anguished heart. Psalm 38: 1-8 NLT

The psalmist goes back and forth between blaming God for all the suffering they are going through and blaming their own sins. Of course, the acknowledgment of sin is understood as being something God punishes. And this punishment or discipline has a bodily component. This isn't just feeling bad for something one has done. This is a complete loss of health due to the burden of sin and guilt.

What has this guy done?

Have you ever felt like your health is a reflection of your behavior? Have you ever blamed God for your visits to the doctor or your mental anguish? How did you get beyond those feelings?

There are consequences when we make bad choices. Sometimes our emotional health can take a toll on our bodies. But God wants to forgive us. God isn't looking for an excuse to beat us up over what we have done wrong. And we shouldn't blame God when we lack the fortitude to completely confess and accept God's forgiveness.

God, forgive me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment