Saturday, October 8, 2011

Please, Lord, rescue me!

Please, Lord, rescue me! Come quickly, Lord and help me. May those who try to destroy me be humiliated and put to shame. May those who take delight in my trouble be turned back in disgrace. Let them be horrified by their shame, for they said, “Aha! We've got him now!” But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, “The Lord is great!” Psalm 40: 13-16 NLT

Please, Lord, rescue me.

I have probably prayed that to God on many occasions, some more serious that others. I know I have wanted those that I perceived to be my enemies to be humiliated and shamed, to be turned back and disgraced. I wanted them to be horrified that they had even shouted their triumph over me.

But was I really searching for God in the meantime or just focusing on revenge? The point in these verses seems to be the ones who search for God being filled with God's joy and gladness. Instead of shouting triumphally over their enemies, God's followers should be shouting repeatedly, “The Lord is great!”

I tend to get stuck in the first few verse without ever making it to verse 16.

How about you?

God, may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, “The Lord is great!” Lord, you are great! Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment