Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Don't Be Dismayed

So don't be dismayed when the wicked grow rich, and their homes become ever more splendid. For when they die, they carry nothing with them. Their wealth will not follow them into the grave. In this life they consider themselves fortunate, and the world loudly applauds their success. But they will die like all others before them and never again see the light of day. People who boast of their wealth don't understand that they will die like the animals. Psalm 49: 16-20 NLT

I hate getting the magazines from two of my Alma Maters: my college and graduate schools. The reason is those long lists of people from the same schools who have accomplished great things. Usually they have been promoted to some great position in their company or won some prestigious award. Often they are my age or younger.

Then there is the magazine from my sorority that showcases those alums who have given hours and hours for volunteer work. Many of them have also been lauded for their contributions to society. They often are married, work and have children. Just like me. Yet, they have given so much of themselves to charitable organizations and really good causes.

My name never appears in any of these lists.

What then, shall I boast in?

The good news is that I can boast in what Christ has done for me. There won't be an article written up about me. You won't see me in an Alumnae Blurb. But I know what Christ has done. And I am not afraid to share it with others.

God we know what Christ has done for us. That is what we should all boast in. Help us to stop being jealous of those other people who seem so successful and wealthy. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment