Saturday, November 12, 2011

Don't pretend to obey God

But God says to the wicked: “Recite my laws no longer, and don't pretend that you obey me. For you refuse my discipline and treat my laws like trash. When you see a thief, you help him, and you spend your time with adulterers. Your mouths are filled with wickedness, and your tongues are full of lies. You sit around and slander a brother – your own mother's son. While you did all this I was silent, and you thought I didn't care. But now I will rebuke you, listing all my charges against you.” Psalm 50: 16-21 NLT

I was talking recently to another Christian whose son used to go to this terrific optional service for teens and young adults here in town. But she said that she had to prevent him from going because of all the drugs that were being sold and consumed in the parking lot.

The parking lot.

Of the place of worship.

Did the kids not get anything from attending?

But, who am I to judge? Who are you? How many times have we spoken ill of someone else in the church while standing in the parking lot? Gee, how many “meetings” have we attended after the meeting while standing around our cars? And how many good church folks have I found out were having affairs with one another? Not to mention the things teens have done around my own church.

I suppose we think God isn't watching or doesn't' care because we don't usually get reprimanded forthis type of behavior. But God does see. God does know. And God will rebuke us.

Now is the time to take a good look at our own behavior and make sure we are not counted among the wicked.

God, so many times we think of the wicked as those who don't attend church. But your word reminds us that the wicked may appear to be obeying you when they are not really. Help us to monitor our own behavior and convict us when we stray. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2011 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment