Wednesday, February 15, 2012

An example to many

My life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and protection. That is why I can never stop praising you; I declare your glory all day long. And now, in my old age, don't set me aside. Don't abandon me when my strength is failing. For my enemies are whispering against me. They are plotting together to kill me. They say, “God has abandoned him. Let's go and get him, for no one will help him now.” O God, don't stay away. My God, please hurry to help me. Bring disgrace and destruction on my accusers. Humiliate and shame those who want to harm me. Psalm 71: 7-13 NLT

This is the prayer from a nursing or retirement home. Can you imagine what it is like to live in one? Don't you think those folks sometimes feel abandoned?

I can hear their cries in this psalm. Don't set me aside in my old age, God! Don't abandon me just because I am not as young as I used to be! Don't let people think I have been abandoned. God, don't abandon me, don't stay away. Please hurry to help me because you have always been my strength and my protection.

Of course, the psalmist didn't know about nursing homes. He just knew about growing old and feeling useless. He understood what it meant to be helpless when he used to be able to do for himself. God gave assistance to him when he was young and virile. Surely God wouldn't abandon him and leave him for his enemies now!

God, no matter how old I become or where I end up living, please don't abandon me. Help me to always know you are with me. I will declare your glory all day long. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment