Thursday, April 12, 2012

Living according to your own ideas?

“But no, my people wouldn't listen. Israel did not want me around. So I let them follow their own stubborn desires, living according to their own ideas.” Psalm 81: 11-12 NLT

Well, the cost of not listening just went up.

In fact, God says not only do God's people refuse to listen, they didn't want God around in the first place. So, God lets them live according to their own ideas.

You know how that turns out, right?

How often have you lived according to your own ideas rather than God's commands?

Did that work out well for you? Or did you find yourself asking for God to get you out of that mess before it was all over with?

I know I am bad about doing things my way. I get so caught up in my own thoughts and ideas that I don't give God the time to say anything differently. I just go full steam ahead.

The key here is to listen. Listen to God by simply being in silence, in God's presence each day. Listen to God by reading God's word – not for a Bible study or a sermon or any other reason that to hear what God is trying to say to you. Listen to your Christian brothers and sisters. What do they have to say to you? Are you willing to hear it?

For our prayer today, take a minute to clear you mind, invite God in and just listen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment