Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Open up and listen

“Listen to me, O my people, while I give you stern warnings. O Israel, if you would only listen to me! You must never have a foreign god; you must not bow down before a false god. For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.” Psalm 81: 8-10 NLT

Open your mouth wide and I will fill it with good things. I could really use some good things today as I am having a very bad day. At this point I am so stuck in my pity party, I am not sure what those good things would be.

What I do know is that God wants to give us good stuff but we don't listen. We don't open our ears to God's word and we don't hear what God has to say to us. Forget the opening of the mouth – we won't ever do that because we aren't listening to God in the first place.

I like to think I am a good listener. But the One to whom I listen to least is God. I am too busy planning, writing, thinking, answering to hear what God has to say to me. With other people I often find myself preparing what I want to say in response. I don't even give God the time to say anything to me: I am too busy!

What prevents you from listening to God? How wide is your mouth open?

God, help us to listen to you and to be open to all the good you want to bless us with. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment